NYCSS Summer Intensive
The need for actors to know how to fight is bigger than ever. There’s never been a better time to channel your inner fighter and train in stage and screen combat!
Our goal is to provide a place where actors can hone their craft in creating safe violence for stage and screen. NYCSS focuses on grounding fights in martial reality to make sure the action is highly realistic, while also being an integral part of the story and revealing character.
Summer 2024 New York Performance Intensive
August 11th -17th, 2024
ALL LEVELS WELCOME!
Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced
Registration is now live!
NYCSS focuses on grounding fights in martial reality to create action that is highly realistic and reveals character as an integral part of the story. Actors learn how violence builds from the written scene and enhances the story being told. The application of skill in a safe environment is extremely important in this art. Learn the relevant skills and professionalism needed to work in our ever expanding and demanding industry. This week of training is perfect not only for Stage and Screen actors, but performers of all disciplines including Dancers and Opera singers! Daily subject matter will draw from classical and contemporary material from both stage and film/tv to study a variety of dramatic and comedic situations.
*** It’s not enough to be able to perform it. You must be able to replicate it. ***
The live performance on Friday & Saturday night gives you instant feedback from an audience. This way you know when the tools you’ve learnt have been successfully utilized. Instructors will provide feedback after each performance in order to facilitate your growth and training in dramatic violence.
- -NYCSS Foundations for Performing Violence
- -Train at YOUR level! Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced levels
- Potential Areas to Train:
- – Unarmed
– Swordwork (Saber, Rapier, Longsword)
- -Show Off Skills in TWO NYC Fight Showcase Performances.
- -Cast in Multiple Fight Scenes.
- -Professional Fight Directors oversee the creation, rehearsal, & production of scenes
- -Choreography & Scene work sessions every day
- -Performance = Practical application of skills to solidify what you’ve learnt
- -TWO performances to learn the energy & awareness needed for fight performance
- -Build your resume with a NYC acting/combat credit!
As a company NYCSS has been actively transferring the foundations of historical combat styles to create a wide range of combat; historical, comedic, fantastical, exciting, heartbreaking, character driven combat for stage and film for over 20 years. Members are trained and learn how to hone their skills so they are replicable for stage and screen. Our training and expertise has enhanced theatre, film and TV with authentic and realistic combat sequences all around the world.
Intensive Coordinator/ Instructor
Past Summer Intensives:
Our 2023 Intensive
Take a look at some of the classes and performances from last Summer’s Intensive!